In a lot of places across America, winter weather means beautiful snow-capped mountains, brisk air, cozy clothes and wood fires to keep warm.
In a practical sense, it also means a lot of preparation; not the least of which includes preparing your vehicle for the cold.
How can you get your vehicle ready for winter? One step in the right direction is to bring it to our service center and let our professional technicians look over it. Here are a few other helpful tips from Fiesta Motors of Lubbock.
- Pack an emergency kit. This can be kept in the trunk and should include supplies such as windshield washer fluid, an ice scraper, extra warm clothes, a blanket, and more, in case of a vehicle breakdown.
- Check the four-wheel drive. Should your vehicle have it, your four-wheel drivetrain can be checked right here at our car service and repair center.
- Check the belts and hoses. Located under the hood of the car, these are routinely checked every 30,000 miles. However, it is also a great idea to have them checked before winter begins; colder temps have a tendency to make them weaker.
- Replace the windshield wipers. Windshield wipers get much more work than usual between freezing rain and snow in the winter. What's more, faulty windshield wipers are incredibly dangerous, so it's best to have them checked and replaced as needed.
- Keep the gas tank full. Although gas prices can feel like a pain to your wallet, they're nothing compared to costly repairs that can arise from not keeping the tank full. Extremely low temperatures and temperature changes can cause condensation to form on the gas tank's walls and subsequently drop into the gasoline. Because water is heavier than gas, it will sink to the bottom, find its way into the fuel lines, freeze and then block gas flow to the engine. What does this mean for you? A car that doesn't start and the hefty repair costs we mentioned.
We hope these tips are helpful. If you're interested in learning more about how you can prepare your car for different seasons and other used car tips in general, subscribe to the Fiesta Motors blog using your RSS feed. You can also stop by one of our two buy-here pay-here locations and speak to one of our staff, schedule a visit with our service center, or even take a vehicle for a spin if you’re in the market for an upgrade on your existing vehicle. We’ll even arrange in-house financing.